It surprises neither of us that our marriage has lasted for twenty-five years. We both knew we were serious when we stated “until death parts us or our Lord shall come.” How thankful I am that our marriage has required so little work. God proved Himself exceedingly gracious when He united us for His great glory and our great good. Below is a trip down memory lane. It is a sampling of twenty-five events significant to our history. Woven together, they provide a picture of two-and-a-half decades of friendship and love
- May 25, 1991: The BIG Day
- Summer 1993: Move to Florida
- Fall 1993: First Sunday at Sweetwater
- May 1996: RTS graduation and leaving Florida
- Summer 1996: Touristy move to Las Vegas
- July 1996: First Sunday at EFCLV
- Summer 1998: Sunny 106.5
- Spring 1999: Sun State retirement
- Fall 1999: Jodi and Maria grazing
- October 30, 1999: Celena’s birth
- May 25, 2001: Ten Years
- Summer 2001: Balboa Island
- December 8, 2002: TJ’s birth
- July 27, 2005: Dayton’s birth
- Winter 2006: Sale of Flora Drive
- Spring 2006: Return to TN
- March 2007: Bryan and RCA week
- July 24, 2008: Cascade’s birth
- May 25, 2011: Twenty Years
- September 2013: First Gulf Shores vacation
- March 31, 2014: Cadence’s birth
- March 18, 2015: Tim’s 50th and the Dixie Stampede
- September 2015: 2nd Gulf Shores vacation
- March 18, 2016: Mini-golf in Knoxville
- May 24, 2016: You, Me, Coffee, Cadence (and every everyday memory I cherish)
Twenty-five years. Twenty-five memories. So much has transpired since our stairwell meeting in the summer of 1989! Fun and trials. Laughter and tears. The daily grind.
Thank you for faithfully walking by my side through it all. Thank you for continuing to be my friend, helper and lover. I am very much looking forward to our time together Wednesday and Thursday.
“The Bible was meant to be read. An unread Bible is like refused food, an unopened love letter, a road map not studied, or a gold mine not worked. If you have put off reading your Bible, begin today to make reading and studying it a vital part of your life with God.”
That great quote concludes the Introduction in Irving Jensen’s extremely helpful book Simply Understanding the Bible (World Wide Publications, 1990, p.8). I have included it on a slide I will be showing during the first Old Testament History course I will be teaching this summer. Currently, I am teaching New Testament History for Belhaven University. In our last class, we studied the book of Acts. This coming Tuesday we will be considering the Pauline Epistles, with special attention given to 1 Thessalonians.
I am really looking forward to our time together in God’s Word. At the end our first class together, one of my students stated that she really enjoyed the evening. One of the reasons she listed was my excitement about the subject matter. Her assessment was correct. I come alive teaching the Word of God. I’ve taught a variety of courses both on the secondary and collegiate level, but no content captivates me like the assertions and stories found within the pages of the Scriptures. Whether I have the opportunity to review the history of the early church or the life, ministry and writings of the Apostle Paul, I find myself energized.
My hope, of course, is that my students will be moved by my passion. I pray regularly for them to either come to a saving knowledge of God through Christ or to grow in the grace and knowledge of Christ (2 Pet. 3:18). Each week I ask God to use me and my material, but I particularly plead with Him to use His Word in their lives. My prayer is that He might work in them as only He can. And I very much want that to be true for me as well. My times of study and teaching cannot simply be an academic exercise or a part-time job. Too much is at stake. Rather, I desire for the Lord to continue the good work He began in me so many years earlier. So, my reading and studying must be a vital part of my life with God.
Can I ask you about your time in God’s Word as of late? Don’t refuse such nourishing food! Open the love letter! Study the map! Mine for gold! Get excited! An incredible journey awaits as you meet God in the pages of His amazing Word!